RE: Is "simplicity" a useful architectural constraint?

On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 22:37, Jeff Lowery wrote:
> Maybe simplicity can be measured by the number of pages in the
> specification.
>
> Of source, that doesn't prevent layering on spec on top of another, but
> maybe that's a good thing.

I'd think simplicity is indeed a big power in the succes of the web, e.g. all people building
homepages. That simplicity can be measured in some kind of layered model
though. An example. I learnt html when it was still a few tags, not much
use of tables if any, no frames etc.
Now HTML has become much more, including other techniques as flash, java
applets etc has become troublesome to some 'amateur' builders, and
people are using more and more 'wysiwig' editors. This is a sign that
the technique has become too troublesome to build in a simple editor,
but by inserting an editor which has some 'intelligence', the building
becomes simple once again..
Main question is then i think; which target audience is supposed to find
these things simple.

Maarten