Re: uri-comp draft necessary?

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:26:39 -0800
To: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
CC: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>, www-tag@w3.org

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> Is the TAG issue about URIs or namespace names? I don't see anything
> wrong with namespaces in XML deciding to use character by character
> based comparison for namespace names (that happen to use URI syntax)
> but believe it is unwise to somehow propose that this is how all URI
> (i.e. URN or URL) comparisons should work.

I agree. This sub-thread is about namespace names because people who
dislike that namespace names are URIs and especially HTTP URIs want to
"prove" that the namespace REC incorporates the entire complexity of URI
equivalence. But it didn't years ago when namespaces were invented and
it doesn't today. Namespaces define a purely lexical form of equivalence
and there will be a variety of other equivalence forms used by other
levels of software on the client and server side. An extreme example is
daml:isEquivalentTo. Surely that shouldn't influence namespace processing!?!

  Paul Prescod