Re: uri-comp draft necessary?

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:33:47 +0100
Cc: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>, Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>, WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>

Am Donnerstag, 19.12.02, um 15:49 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Bill de
hÓra:

> Stefan Eissing wrote:
>
>> I think Dare's point was well made:
>> For HTTP servers and proxies, http://example.com/ and
>> HTTP://example.com/ must
>> be equivalent URIs. They have to follow RFC 2396 in that.
>
> I couldn't find anything in rfc2396 that says HTTP and http must be
> treated as equivalent, it does say they should be treated as
> equivalent, but that's a different level of specification.

Ok, its not in 2396. It's in 2616,  Ch. 3.2.3:

"URI Comparison

When comparing two URIs to decide if they match or not, a client SHOULD
use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the entire URIs, with
these exceptions:

     * A port that is empty or not given is equivalent to the default
port for that URI-reference;
     * Comparisons of host names MUST be case-insensitive;
     * Comparisons of scheme names MUST be case-insensitive;
     * An empty abs_path is equivalent to an abs_path of "/".

Characters other than those in the "reserved" and "unsafe" sets (see
RFC 2396 [42]) are equivalent to their ""%" HEX HEX" encoding.

For example, the following three URIs are equivalent:

       http://abc.com:80/~smith/home.html
       http://ABC.com/%7Esmith/home.html
       http://ABC.com:/%7esmith/home.html
"

//Stefan

PS. Did someone note that '~' is equivalent to '%7e'? Can we rule out
EBCDIC as charset for
     http URIs, at least? please?