Re: uri-comp draft necessary?

Miles Sabin writes:
>What's problematic is the tension between,
>
>* The Namespaces REC which says that identifiers which differ on a
>  character by character basis are always distinct.
>
>versus,
>
>* RFC 2396/deployed network infrastructure which says that some
>  identifiers which differ on a character by character basis are
>  equivalent.

This tension was also near the heart of the xml-uri discussions of
relative URI references for namespace URIs a few years back.

I don't think that tension was ever resolved (though discussion was
halted by another route), nor do I expect it to go away easily.

I'd like to think that the TAG and the IETF could work together to
resolve this tension, perhaps as work on the 2396 revision goes forward,
but it's a tough set of questions, made more difficult by regular
denials that the tension even causes problems.
--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!