Re: uri-comp draft necessary?

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:40:09 +0000
To: "WWW-Tag" <www-tag@w3.org>

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote,
> Would it make sense to augment the normative Namespaces rule on
> character-by-character comparison with a health warning:  "NOTE:
> although namespace identity is determined on a character match basis,
> users are strongly discouraged from intentionally creating distinct
> namespaces named by URIs that would be considered equal per RFC 2396
> or other governing specifications."  Or some such.

In what _practical_ way is this different from changing the Namespaces
rule from character-by-character comparison to RFC 2396/deployed
network infrastructure comparison?

This is the core of my complaint here: the push for namespace documents
will inevitably lead to a de facto revision of the Namespaces REC, and
that's too big a change to introduce by the back door.

Cheers,

Miles