Re: Generic link handling

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:29:42 -0800
To: www-tag@w3.org

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> The TAG has already moved that XLink should be the generic linking
> mechanism for XML, despite a wide variety of complaints about its
> appropriateness for various domains.

This statement is incorrect.  To quote from

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Sep/0183.html
  Recently, the TAG considered the scope of XLink[1].
  We concluded[2] that XLink should be used for hypertext
  references in user-interface oriented applications.

  In light of this conclusion, it is the unanimous opinion
  of the TAG that XLink should be used for hypertext references
  in XHTML 2.0.

Reasonable people are trying to work in good faith to explore these
issues, and inflammatory overgeneralizations like that quoted above are
not helpful. -Tim