Re: Posted draft of URI comparison finding

From: Michael Mealling <michael@neonym.net>
Date: 02 Dec 2002 09:53:51 -0500
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 09:42, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 02:13, Tim Bray wrote:
> >
> > I just posted, at http://www.textuality.com/tag/uri-comp.html, a first
> > cut at some finding language in comparing URIs.
>
> it's easy to tell if two URIs are different, even in the general
> case: just use strcmp(). What's hard is to tell whether
> they refer to the same resource. Let's be careful about these
> use/mention bugs in this finding.

The largest problem I have with this document is that no where does it
define 'sameness' with respect to a Resource. In many cases it uses the
term "same resource" when the bounds of a 'resouce' and equivalence of
those resources sans the URI is never specified. Is 'same' bounded to
bit equivalence? bit equivalence plus authoritative content type
negotiation? Can two resources on different servers be the 'same'? Why
not?

Until the document defines that term its going to be very difficult to
make any progress on this point...

-MM