Re: SOAP's prohibiting use of XML internal subset

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 21:21:30 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: www-tag@w3.org, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

Chris Lilley wrote:

> I discussed this with Yves Lafon the other day. The argument that a
> message in a protocol has to be self-standing is fairly compelling -
> it can't just buffer up while some other resource is fetched (perhaps
> using a different protocol).

That's an argument for not downloading remote files. But every XML
parser allows you to override this and avoid that downloading.

> But then I ask myself - does SOAP prohibit messages that are over
> large due to the simpler and less devious method of just having a very
> large message?

No, but it might be easy to check download size this at the "transport
layer". It is not so easy to figure out why your parser went to lala
land because of the abuse of an obscure XML feature.

There, an argument for and against. ;)

  Paul Prescod