Re: Dead (but interesting) topic Re: URI denumerability

Am Donnerstag den, 29. August 2002, um 17:30, schrieb Tim Bray:

> Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>> Tim, I buy your argument.  But the problem then is that it
>> implies that URI cannot represent the reals.  A proper subset of
>> a denumerable set cannot stand in one-to-one correspondance with
>> a non-denumerable set, right?  OTOH, it seems to me that, for any
>> given real number, it is possible to construct a (or many -
>> perhaps infinitely many) URIs that can stand for that real
>> number...
>
> Er well my math degree is dated 1981, so the intuition is somewhat
> rusty.  I believe, when you come right down to it, that the
> problem is that there are lots of reals that have no names.
> Clearly I could write URIs for well-known irrationals like e, pi,
> and their friends.  It is obvious that there is no finite
> representation of an irrational using a positional numeric
> notation.  So unless you have some other way of getting at it
> (ratio between circumference and diameter, integral of 1/x, square
> root of 2) you'll never get a name, which means that it just isn't
> a resource (a thing that has identity), so the world-view is kind
> of consistent.

Well, you can give *any* real number a name, but you cannot give
*every* real number a name. (The amount of information represented by
the set of real numbers is greater than the amount of information
represented by an infinite set of finite words formed from a finite
alphabet.)

> Think of all those poor nameless reals... that's a special kind of
> loneliness. -Tim

I donate a URI from http://greenbytes.de/ for the first number
you do not give one.

Or, look at the positive side: the amount of possible future top level
domains is numerable!

//Stefan