Re: WAI: Threat or Menace?

Kynn Bartlett writes:
> In this particular case, the question is "how do you make content in
> an arbitrary XML format accessible to an audience with disabilities?"
>  In this context, "arbitrary XML" means "an XML language whose
> meaning is clear to the author, but the user agent only has the
> syntax to go on."

I don't believe that's really what people are suggesting here.

There seems to be an easier answer here, which involves promoting
guidelines which make XML usable in a WAI context
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlgl) rather than considering XML a dangerous
menace.

Are those guidelines just too weak?  Do we really need to make sure that
authors only use vocabularies whose semantics are pre-ordained by the
developers of user agents?  If that's the case, an awful lot of us have
wasted an incredible amount of time.

It's reasonably obvious that XML isn't "self-describing".  It's also
reasonably obvious that attaching accessibility information to labeled
structures holding textual content is not an impossible problem.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether