Re: Issue Request: The unqualified term "Semantics" should be avoided

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:48:58 -0700
To: Svgdeveloper@aol.com
CC: tbray@textuality.com, www-tag@w3.org

Svgdeveloper@aol.com wrote:

> I would like to ask TAG to consider the issue of whether the unqualified use
> of the term "semantics" lacks clarity and is harmful to good communication
> and W3C specification development.

The W3C is not in the business of defining language except to unify it
across specifications. Until there is a clash in the use of the term
across specifications I don't think the TAG need get involved. They have
enough on their plate already.

> ... Since W3C is placing significant emphasis
> on a "Semantic Web" clarity about which types of semantics are considered of
> value seems important, not least in that strategic context.

The "semantics" of the semantic web are defined here:

 * http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#model

--
"When I walk on the floor for the final execution, I'll wear a denim
suit. I'll walk in there like Willie Nelson, John Wayne, Will Smith