Re: What are Semantics? (Was: Serving generic XML)

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:04:43 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

At 2:27 PM -0700 8/19/02, Paul Prescod wrote:

>This is an AI-hard problem. Sometimes the heading is the largest text,
>but not always. Sometimes it is at the top, but not always. Sometimes
>the heading starts at the left, but not always. Sometimes the text of
>the document wraps *around* the heading.

I didn't say it was easy, but I do think it's solvable.

>If you think it can be done, do it. You'll make millions on a "Word to
>structured text converter." You'll also prove that the whole "separation
>of presentation from structure" movement was wrong-headed. Why separate
>them explicitly if the computer can do it after the fact? We can ship
>around PDFs and Word documents as "structured text".

I think it can be done. What the market is for it, I don't know. I
don't think I personally currently have the skills or resources to do
this, but I've seen things done that are close enough to this
problem, that I strongly suspect it's possible.