Re: Serving generic XML (was: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue?)

At 9:45 AM -0700 8/19/02, kynn@idyllmtn.com wrote:

>But the point is that arbitrary XML is meaningless without something
>telling you what it means.

That's a straw man. XML isn't arbitrary in practice. When I write
<SINGER>Madonna</SINGER>, there's a reason I choose the tags I do.
The names have meaning.

>And that is the primary accessibility problem of arbitrary XML.  Even
>if you send a style sheet, it will likely still be unintelligible for
>those people with special needs.

If so, that's an unnecessary limitation of the current browser base.
It's certainly not a fundamental problem. Stylesheets can transform
to HTML or a variety of other formats. CSS stylesheets can be used to
identify the headings and paragraphs by reversing the usual rendering
semantics.

I think the WAI perspective may be far too narrow. If what's been
said here is representative, their goal seems to be to severely limit
the range of expression used on the web to a small, predefined
vocabulary. This is doomed to fail. Most people do not think like the
WAI wants them to think. They do not write like the WAI wants them to
write. They never have and they never will.

The WAI approach is to change billions of web pages and millions of
authors. Wouldn't it be easier to change a few pieces of software to
actually understand the data that is out there? A technological
solution (building better special-needs browsers) would be more
effective than a social one.