Re: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

At 8:12 PM -0700 8/16/02, Tantek Çelik wrote:

>So you're saying that instead of encouraging better practices on the web, we
>should introduce/legitimize more complicated ways of encouraging current
>poor practices?

No, I'm saying that encouraging better use of HTML is a waste of
time. The battle's lost. XHTML 1.0 has achieved no significant
traction. XHTML 2.0 will probably do worse. If you want semantically
tagged information, jump to pure XML; but accept that HTML is today
and probably always will be a layout language.

What the W3C says about HTML has little effect on what web sites and
designers do. The language of HTML is defined by the tools, not by
the specs. If XHTML ever achieves any significant adoption, it will
not be on the Web. It will be in domains that are not already
colonized by HTML.