Re: [httpRange-14] What do HTTP URIs Identify?

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:56:29 -0600
Cc: "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>, <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>

On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 01:02 PM, Bill de hÓra wrote:

>>> Tim BL:
>
> Please do not claim that people can do whatever they like - or we will
> lose the protocols to mayhem.

To add the context you omitted:
Do not claim that people can say something and claim
that they never meant it because nothing has any meaning.

Bill de hÓra:

> But we didn't claim any such thing. You claimed this would be a place
> where one could say anything about anything.

You should be able to say anything about anything.
But you you should be able to be held to it.
And if your statements contradict an authority's statements
about that authority's own terms, your statements should
not carry weight or allow the system to break.

Tim