 From: Miles Sabin [mailto:miles@milessabin.com]
 Sent: Sun 8/4/2002 11:58 AM
 To: www-tag@w3.org
 Subject: Re: URIs: resources and contradictions was: Re: httpRange proposed text

 Joshua Allen wrote,
 <snip/>
 > Q1.  Karath, when you just typed http://www.w3.org into your browser,
 > what "thing" did you connect to?
 > A1.  An HTML document written by W3C
 > Q2.  Karath, do you think that Victor connected to the same "thing"
 > when he typed the same URL into his browser yesterday?
 > A2.  Of course!  Is this a trick question?
 >
 > Q1.  Victor, when you typed http://www.w3.org into your browser
 > yesterday, what "thing" did you connect to?
 > A1.  A web server maintained by W3C, maybe in Massachusetts
 > Q2.  Victor, do you think that Karath connected to the same "thing"
 > when she browsed to the same URL today?
 > A2.  Huh?  I hope so!  Is this a trick question?

 Q3.  Karath, how many characters do you think http://www.w3.org/ has?
 A3.  Hmm ... oh, several thousand I should think.
 Q4.  Karath, how much memory do you think http://www.w3.org/ has?
 A4.  Huh?

 Q3.  Victor, how much memory do you think http://www.w3.org/ has?
 A3.  Hmm ... oh, half a gig or at a guess.
 Q4.  Victor, how many characters do you think http://www.w3.org/ has?
 A4.  Huh?

 Q5.  Karath, when I asked Victor how many characters http://www.w3.org/
      has he didn't understand the question, but he thought that it had
      about half a gig of memory. Do you still think you're both talking
      about the same thing?
 A5.  Err ... guess not, he must have been talking about the web server.

 Q5.  Victor, when I asked Karath how much memory http://www.w3.org/
      has she didn't understand the question, but she thought that it had
      several thousand characters. Do you still think you're both
      talking about the same thing?
 A5.  Err ... guess not, she must have been talking about the HTML
      document.

 Cheers,

 Miles