Re: URIs: resources and contradictions was: Re: httpRange proposed text

Bill de hÓra wrote:

> > On Behalf Of Jonathan Borden
> >
> > Yes I would say that every time we use a single URI we refer
> > to the same resource, but perhaps in different contexts. The
> > meaning of a URI is the same as the meaning of the resource
> > it refers to.
>
> We solve the problem of the one to many mapping between URIs and
> Resource by axiomatising that such a relationship is never the case
> (I'll accept that for now as being an internally consistent view in the
> web, but observe it's trivially not true when we relate the world to the
> web). Granted, what something means is often more relevant than what
> something is.

The RDF model theory correctly places strict limits as to how far it goes in
determining what the meaning of a URIref is. But perhaps we can agree on a
few things even if we don't solve all the problems today. The goal is to
create a system that is internally consistent. With that we can _start_ to
reason.

Followups to www-rdf-logic

Jonathan