Re: Fixed Section 1.1 language

Tim Bray responded to me:

> noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > <original>
> > The introduction of new URI schemes SHOULD be avoided.
> > </original>
> > <proposed>
> > The unnecessary introduction of new URI schemes SHOULD be avoided.
> > </proposed>
> > - or -
> > <proposed>
> > The introduction of new URI schemes SHOULD be minimized.
> > </proposed>
> >
> > Presumably there are, from time to time, good reasons for introducing
new
> > schemes.  Introduction of such schemes SHOULD NOT be avoided IMO.  The

> > original suggests it's always a bad idea.
>
> Yes, but isn't this exactly the semantic of SHOULD - do it unless
> there's a reason not to?

Hmm.  I guess I've taken it as a stronger admonition,
but I can see where others would disagree.  I've
generally taken SHOULD NOT as more or less "this would
be a MUST NOT if implementation details or occasional
private agreements didn't make a firm requirement
occasionally impractical."

The point I'm trying to make is: it's as important to
create a new schema on the rare occasions when you need
them as it is to not create them in the many
circumstances when you don't.  SHOULD NOT doesn't say
that to me.

> Also I'd like to leave the language strong
> here because there does seem to be a hunger
> out there to invent them, cf WebDAV.

Right.  Why not:

<amendedProposal>
The unnecessary introduction of new URI schemes SHOULD
be avoided.

NOTE: it is anticipated that legitimate reasons for
such new introductions will be rare.  [...and
perhaps follow with some short informative information
probably based on what's in [1]...]
</amendedProposal>

I can live with what you propose, but have a significant
preference for a reformulation such as what I've proposed
above.  Thanks in any case for taking the trouble to respond.
I'm sure you are deluged with helpful suggestions (no need to
respond to this explicitly unless you feel like it...just
take this as input.)

Thanks!

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Architecture.html#schemes

One Rogers Street