Re: whenToUseGet-7 Making SOAP Restful

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:29:55 -0700
Cc: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>

[ changed the venue from tag to dist-app ]

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 09:57  AM, Paul Prescod wrote:
> I think that a true solution to this problem would allow digital
> signatures, authentication, transaction control, etc. to be encoded in
> an HTTP message, no matter WHAT the method.
> *If users must choose between HTTP's features and SOAP's, then we have
> failed (at least in part).*

Are you familiar with "binding features"; i.e., the concept that things
that are provided by the underlying protocol (e.g., HTTP authentication,
etc.) can be used in this fashion, and exposed to SOAP nodes?

> One nit is that I am not entirely comfortable with my own promotion of
> the term "REST" in the sense that I think its meaning is likely more
> subtle than most of us understand. I think the goal of this part of our
> discussion is to make SOAP fully URI-compatible.

I'd very much like to know what the overall goals are. From reading
www-tag, my sense of what people want goes from "don't abuse HTTP" to
"use URIs correctly" to "rearchitect SOAP completely so that it is
RESTful". These are different things.

Mark Nottingham