Re: draft findings on Unsafe Methods (whenToUseGet-7)

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:54:10 +0100
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
At 03:11 PM 4/18/02 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 11:58  AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>>
>>SO what am I trying to say?  I'm wary of the value of technical design
>>principles that cannot be technically assessed.  My entry to this debate
>>was trying to be clear about what was the meaning of "safe", where I saw
>>two possibilities that could apply.
>
>I didn't bother to define "safe" in the HTTP spec because there already
>exist far more definitive works in software engineering literature
>that define the term completely.  A search for Nancy Leveson's research
>will pick up the appropriate definition.

A quick search reveals work that seems to deal with safety related to fault
tolerance.  I had the idea that "safe" in HTTP was a slightly different
idea.  Could you please provide a more specific reference, or an extra
keyword or two to locate the right kind of definition?

Thanks,

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>