Re: draft findings on Unsafe Methods (whenToUseGet-7)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:11:23 -0700
Cc: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>, www-tag@w3.org
To: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>

On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 11:58  AM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> SO what am I trying to say?  I'm wary of the value of technical design
> principles that cannot be technically assessed.  My entry to this debate
> was trying to be clear about what was the meaning of "safe", where I saw
> two possibilities that could apply.

I didn't bother to define "safe" in the HTTP spec because there already
exist far more definitive works in software engineering literature
that define the term completely.  A search for Nancy Leveson's research
will pick up the appropriate definition.

I have never had any trouble assessing this requirement.

....Roy