Re: The range of the HTTP dereference function

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:57:11 +0100
To: "Norman Walsh" <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>
> 2. If Gideon's Bible is a document, is the copy of Gideon's
>    Bible in my hotel room also a document?

That seems like more of a representation to me. In fact, you could get your
HTTP server to send that back as a representation of the conceptual
Gideon's Bible using the matter-transport/non-sentient-non-life-form MIME
type mentioned in RFC 1437.

> 3. If that copy of Gideon's Bible is a document, can I refer
>     to it by URI?

Whether it's a document or not, you can refer to it by URI. The question is
whether the solid object sitting in your hotel room is directly
identifyable using an HTTP URI.

I think that TimBL's document class necessarily excludes solid objects,
i.e. things made of atoms. Try [1] for more details.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002Apr/0013

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer