RE: FW: draft findings on Unsafe Methods (whenToUseGet-7)

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:48:46 -0700
To: "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>, <www-tag@w3.org>

>It worries me that we're almost done standardizing this thing
>and still debating the right way to use it. You could argue
>that the same was true for XML but the issue is much deeper
>with SOAP. XML had an interoperable core that everyone could
>agree upon.

Err, namespaces? PIs? DTDs? ...

> That is not true of SOAP. For most developers
>"SOAP RPC over HTTP w/section 5 encoding" *is* the
>interoperable core and yet for others (let's call them the
>SOAP intelligencia), it is just a historical artifact. That
>suggests to me that there is something fishy going on.

...and how is this different from the discussion of how to use HTTP even
though HTTP has been around for a long time? In general I strongly
encourage such discussion but quite frankly, as long as we are seeing
this type of "shoot at anything that moves" arguments I am not sure how
this can lead to anything constructive.

Sigh

Henrik