Re: draft findings on Unsafe Methods (whenToUseGet-7)

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:40:45 -0700
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: www-tag@w3.org
"Williams, Stuart" wrote:

> On the matter of hidden resources I have some sympathies (but not
> solutions). It seems that caching and bookmarking are the things that
> suffer, as noted by others [1].

Please consider this issue of "bookmarking" more closely. Bookmarking is
the least of the issues. It is linking *in all of its forms*. I'm
talking about XInclude, XLink, XPath, RSS, XHTML, XSLT, RDF, WebLogs and
Topic Maps. These are *powerful* information combination and relation
tools. But they cannot be used with information hidden behind SOAP
endpoints. I would say that any service that denies its users the use of
these tools is somewhat broken.

 Paul Prescod