Re: FW: draft findings on Unsafe Methods (whenToUseGet-7)

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:17:30 -0700
To: www-tag@w3.org
David Orchard wrote:

> I disagree that SOAP using HTTP POST is necessarily an RPC mechanism.  Many
> folks are providing arbitrary document oriented messages using SOAP/HTTP.
> In fact, there seems to be an emerging point of view that document/literal
> is preferred over rpc.  So please, let's not say soap=rpc.

It worries me that we're almost done standardizing this thing and still
debating the right way to use it. You could argue that the same was true
for XML but the issue is much deeper with SOAP. XML had an interoperable
core that everyone could agree upon. That is not true of SOAP. For most
developers "SOAP RPC over HTTP w/section 5 encoding" *is* the
interoperable core and yet for others (let's call them the SOAP
intelligencia), it is just a historical artifact. That suggests to me
that there is something fishy going on.

 Paul Prescod