Re: "resolution mechanism"

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 11:30, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 08:48:51AM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > A GET is a rather direct mechanism for retrieving a representation, and
> > while it works for HTTP, I'm not sure it _should_ work for every other
> > flavor of URI.
>
> HTTP isn't necessarily "direct".  I can ask any HTTP node (server or
> intermediary) to resolve any URI on my behalf.  This is how caches,
> firewalls, gateways, and other intermediaries work.
>
> Perhaps we can take this to www-archive (reply-to set).

I don't object to taking the general discussion to www-archive, but I
think it's painfully clear that the TAG needs to describe how URIs work,
not just claim that they do, as part of developing a plausible
architecture.

[rest taken to www-archive, though www-talk may be a better home.]

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!