Re: "resolution mechanism"

IMHO

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
To: <www-tag@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: "resolution mechanism"

> Could TimBL please clarify what exactly he meant in the first place?

I just did, HTTP. Sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier.
HTTP is a space of dereferencable identifiers.
It works.

> This is the original quote:
> > >   SW: There is a tone in the IETF about trying to
> > >   have a mechanism to resolve URNs.
> > >   TBL: Yes, those people who favor URNs in the
> > >   IETF claim that they are building a mechanism to
> > >   resolve URNs. We have a working resolution
> > >   mechanism; building a second one is in general a
> > >   bad idea.

> I may simply be extremely dense, but neither Ian's proposal (DNS) nor
> Mark's proposal (HTTP) seems even remotely plausible to me as a general
> answer.
>
> DNS solves only one small part of the problem, and I have a very hard
> time believing in HTTP hegemony over the resolution of ftp: URIs, not to
> mention the rest of the URI universe.

The problem is not a protocol to be able to resolve any URI.
The problem is to give something an identifier which can later
be resolved.  The appropriate scheme is http.

Don't use URNs.  They don't have a protocol.  If you use them,
then we will all have to make a new protocol for URNs.
We will end up reinventing HTTP which IMHO will be a
serious fragmentation of the specification and very detrimental
to the web as a whole.