URI resolution (was Re: Summary of 8 April 2002 TAG teleconference)

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 09 Apr 2002 17:16:23 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 16:41, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 11:20, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> >   SW: There is a tone in the IETF about trying to
> >   have a mechanism to resolve URNs.
> >   TBL: Yes, those people who favor URNs in the
> >   IETF claim that they are building a mechanism to
> >   resolve URNs. We have a working resolution
> >   mechanism; building a second one is in general a
> >   bad idea.
> >
> > Clarification request.  I assume that the URN resolution mechanism the
> > IETF is building is DDDS.  What is the W3C's "working resolution
> > mechanism"?
>
> The "We" above doesn't refer to W3C, it refers to the Internet
> community. The resolution mechanism is the DNS.

I have to admit that DNS by itself sounds like a very weak solution to
URN (and URI) resolution, especially in the light of things like:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-10.txt
DDDS Part Five: URI.ARPA Assignment Procedures

Also:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2169.txt
 A Trivial Convention for using HTTP in URN Resolution (RFC 2169)

There is the experimental:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2168.txt
Resolution of Uniform Resource Identifiers using the Domain Name System

But somehow I don't think that's what you mean.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!