Re: [namespaceDocument-8] RDF and RDDL

On 2002-04-08 9:09, "ext Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

> Williams, Stuart wrote:
>
>> At last week's TAG telcon I took an action to explore the use of an RDF
>> based approach for embedding machine readable information on RDDL documents
>> instead of Xlink.
>
> ... in fact the RDF block could also
> be in the HTML header and this would work fine.

This would, I think, be the cleanest approach, though whether
the RDF is all in one place in the header or interleaved with
the XHTML prose, I think it is good if the root document model
is XHTML with the RDF embedded within it rather than RDF with
XHTML embedded as RDF parseType="Literal".

The reason for this is quite practical. While we will hope for
rich, machine accessible information in namespace documents
(and elsewhere), there will be lots of folks who will be able
to create XHTML only namespace documents but not the RDF
(or XLink) knowledge intended for machines, and thus the
foundation of the namespace document markup should be XHTML.

Also, browsers will more easily deal with XHTML instances with
RDF in the header than RDF instances with embedded XHTML, which
requires configuring the browsers to recognize the RDF instances
as displayable as XHTML, etc.

Thus, putting the RDF in the XHTML header seems the optimal
way to go. It's also consistent with the role of the header
as a container for machine-relevant information as opposed
to content.

Cheers,

Patrick