Re: Mailto misnamed not misdesigned (Was: Hyperlinks depend onGET (was: Re: REST and the Web))

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:48:39 -0800
To: Rob Lanphier <robla@real.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Rob Lanphier wrote:

Thanks for the correction. I've only ever seen RealAudio use HTTP URIs
and content-type based dispatching to launch the player. I would still
expect that that dispatching mechanism is much more important to most
users than the pnm: or rtsp: URIs you use internally.

> Having URLs was very important to making SMIL work.  Typical SMIL files
> mingle RTSP and HTTP sources interchangably.

If they are interchangable then how would SMIL "not work" if you used
only HTTP URIs pointing to RAM/RA/... files?

> ...  Additionally, browsers now
> typically support protocol handlers, and we take advantage of that (at
> least on IE...for which RTSP URLs will use our player, or the Quicktime
> player [I think], depending on how it's registered).

I've never seen an RTSP URI in a web page but maybe I've just been
unlucky.

 Paul Prescod