RE: TAG seeks input re www-tag

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 13:53:04 -0600
To: "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: "'www-tag@w3.org'" <www-tag@w3.org>
The need to reduce noise and clutter is understood.

How do we ask clarifications or questions related
to the content of TAG papers?

Asked originally on XML-Dev.  Was redirected by a
TAG member to the public TAG list.  Since I try to
keep subscriptions to a minimum, I usually ask such
questions on XML-Dev.  Given the redirection, there
is no choice but to ask on TAG public list.

Policy?

len bullard

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

The TAG has a problem: we can't keep up with the volume
of email on www-tag.  This is a problem because it's part
of the TAG's mandate to do our work in public.  Furthermore,
I have fond memories of the old XML WG, where we had a large
and vociferous IG that gets a lot of the credit for coming
up with good ideas and shouting down our lousy ideas.

In particular, several of us are intimidated by patterns
such as the following:

- a posting from a TAG member gets a response where each
  original sentence is followed by multiple paragraphs of
  response
- threads that continue for 10 or 20 messages with no real
  new arguments being brought forward

So, we solicit input on how to handle this.  Here are some

- Become ruthless and enforce a rule that all postings must
  contain an issue number in the subject line or have a
  subject line that says "New Issue Proposal for TAG"
- Try to restrict discussion to those issues that the TAG
  plans to discuss at its next meeting - we'd have to publish
  our agendas well in advance, but we think we can do that.
  This model worked pretty well in the old XML IG.
- Drastically restrict posting rights to www-tag; either
  to TAG members or to Invited Experts or by some other
  criterion.

Your input is solicited.  What's happening now isn't
working well enough. -Tim