Draft rewrite of Arch TOC Intro clause

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:04:46 -0800
To: www-tag@w3.org
I have an action item to do some editing the third bullet point in
  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/intro

which currently reads:

   Specifications of a nonexclusive set of data formats designed for
 interchange between agents in the system. This includes several formats used
 in isolation or in combinations (e.g. XHTML, PNG, XLink, RDF, SMIL
 animation, Ruby), as well as technologies for designing new formats (XML,
 Namespaces, DOM).

Chris Lilley asserted, and agree, that this does not capture the fact
that some of the specified semantics of these languages have grown
into (at least de facto) architectural importance.  I suggest addressing
this by leaving the text untouched (left to myself, I might tighten
it up a bit by shortening lists) and appending one sentence.

   Specifications of a nonexclusive set of data formats designed for
 interchange between agents in the system. This includes several formats used
 in isolation or in combinations (e.g. XHTML, PNG, XLink, RDF, SMIL
 animation, Ruby), as well as technologies for designing new formats (XML,
 Namespaces, DOM).  Some of these formats are sufficiently ubiquitous
 that their semantics may be considered part of the Web architecture:
 examples include the elements inside HTML's "head" element and the
 prescribed error-handling behavior for XML processors.

Cheers, Tim