Re: TAG TODO: Unresolved issues in Web Architeture

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Swartz" <me@aaronsw.com>
To: <www-tag@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 10:31 AM
Subject: TAG TODO: Unresolved issues in Web Architeture

> Here are a few issues in Web Architecture which I would like to see the
TAG
> address:
>
>  - Why does the Web use mime types and not URIs?
We should probably first define the Web?

>  - What's the proper terminology for distinguishing between the HTTP/HTML
> Web, things with URIs, the services Web, etc.? Alternately, what is the
Web?
The web imho is the interconnected network of computers, exchanging data
which can take on many
forms yet to be thought of. I would not speak of a services Web, since as I
see it it's merely pc's doing things people
could do, but faster. There will probably be people who would see webspiders
as a crossover from the services web
to the 'normal' web. Therefore, why make them differ in definition.

>  - Do Web Architecture principles continue to make sense in a world with
> decentralized systems like Freenet and Mojo Nation?
See my previous 'definition' of a web

> One example is the "security by obscurity" issue for URIs[1]. On the HTTP
> Web, where passwords can be changed and there is an official "host" for
any
> document, this makes sense. But what about a system like Mojo Nation,
where
> the only way to protect document secrecy is by guarding the document's URI
> (MojoID), since that allows you to reconstruct the document.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkMyths

I'd think on mojo nation people wouldn't place some things if they can't be
hidden, if you'd only
'publish' things for a small group or for yourself, why not use the normal
web?
If that doesn't work, a form in between these forms will arise.

> Of course, there are the "completed" issues of Web Architecture, which
only
> need to be formalized and written down. I'd love to see the TAG take on
this
> job also, as a formal W3C Note or Recommendation would be helpful for
> explaining these issues to others.
>
> Best of luck,

Hope I understood all questions correctly..
> --
> [ "Aaron Swartz" ; <mailto:me@aaronsw.com> ; <http://www.aaronsw.com/> ]

Maarten Stolte, datadevil.crash.nu