Re: Resource discovery: limits of URIs

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:45:31 -0800
To: <www-tag@w3.org>
Cc: "Peter Pappamikail" <peter@pappamikail.net>
At 05:23 PM 16/12/01 -0500, Peter Pappamikail wrote:
>My concern is the mechanisms available to "translate" information on a uniquely identifiable artefact to an addressable URI. Please accept my apologies in advance if the issue is not appropriate for this list.

There's a long history of work in this space, mostly over in the IETF -
and historically a lot of concern about the distinctions (or not) between
the notions of naming, identification, and location.  Historically the
results of this work haven't been that great; the problems are hard
enough that it may not be cost-effective to work on them.

Someone have a pointer to some of this history?  -Tim