Fwd: Rectangle height and width

I realised that I didnt use the answer all button so here my mail for
everyone again:

I remember, that I came across the same issue and therefore I must kinda
agree, that this would make coding a little bit easier at some points, BUT:

In my opinion allowing negative widths and heights does not make sense.
There is nothing such negative space as well as their is nothing like
negative time.
When you have a house you dont say it has a height of -2m when you actually
want to say that it has a basement which is 2m in depths (which is
basically a change in the reference system but the value stays positive).

For positioning it makes sense to allow negative values because we define
an arbitrary reference which is most likely the upper left browser window.
Same is true for time where we use 1970 as reference (start of unix time)
(or others).

When we start allowing mathematical constructs like this, nothing is
stopping us from allowing infinite or negative radii which make perfectly
sense in a mathematical environment but shouldnt be allowed in svg.

As a last point I would like to mention, that we would again introduce
something which makes svg harder to understand while not even reducing the
filesize or adding much other benefit. Removing the restrictions here would
furtermore lead to svgs popping up which cannot be understood by old
parsers anymore which injects yet another incompatbility.
On the other side, solving the problem of negative width or height in any
programming language is as simple as:

    // analog for y and height
    x = Math.min(x1, x2)
    width = Math.abs(x1 - x2)

So I dont see a problem when generating svgs with other languages

Best regards
Ulrich-Matthias
(svgjs.com)