Re: SVG's future

From: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:24:12 +0100
To: Domenico Strazzullo <strazzullo.domenico@gmail.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Doug Schepers <standards@schepers.cc>, Nikos Andronikos <nikos.andronikos@gmail.com>, グルチヤンラミン <ktecramin99@gmail.com>, "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, Francis Hemsher <fhemsher@gmail.com>
On 13 February 2017 at 11:47, Domenico Strazzullo
<strazzullo.domenico@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please let's earn some respect for one another! Different opinions and valid
> arguments can be expressed in an objective way, as well as in a subjective
> way, let’s leave it to the free will.

What I meant is that people in this thread should stop insulting each
other. I agree, respect needs to be earned, but insults rather reach
the opposite.

> A special word for you, Sebastian: I’m not the W3C, I’m here, please do not
> make disagreeable remarks about me or my words through a bias.

I am just trying to calm the waves of this heated discussion. I didn't
mean to make any disagreeable remarks.

What we're seeing so far is an unhealthy situation for SVG. There are
disappointed users (because they can't use the new features), spec.
editors (as they put many years of work into writing the spec.), and
even implementors (like Inkscape), because browser vendors obviously
don't plan to implement SVG 2's features, even when the spec. status
is calling for implementations.

Therefore, what I am trying to reach — and I'm repeating myself — is
to get to know the reasons for this situation and what needs to be
changed in order to make progress again.

So, Tab, Rossen, Brian, whoever is responsible for SVG at Google,
Microsoft, Apple, and Mozilla, could you share your companies'
official opinions on this topic, please?

Sebastian