Re: Agenda, 1 October 2015 SVG WG telcon

Dear SVG workgroup members,

Please think of the children. My experience in teaching the subject of Web
Design and using SVG for that is that they get SMIL and start getting
blank faces when it comes to CSS and certainly javascript. SMIL is already
quite a challenge, but the clear relation to what you add to your SVG file
and what is happening on screen will enable them to overcome their issues.
CSS to them is too abstract and javascript too arcane. I guess David has
similar experiences, though my students used to be Design students rather
than IT oriented.

Now that SVG fonts have been ripped out while solving a plethora of
problems for large font sets, sprites, connectors, animations, on the fly
translation of characters etc. as the diacritics problem couldn't be
solved, but nothing really to replace that functionality but crude
workarounds, please leave some of the old cruft alive and kicking.

Especially with many people starting to use their own CSS templates to get
rid of all the visual BS, javascript getting disabled for various reasons,
it may well be that SMIL is an acceptable alternative for many web users
on both safety and usability issues. Not much you can do with SMIL that
can bork a machine now is there?

The fact one can easily reuse SMIL content is a godsend for authors.
Whether they are in advertisement agencies or some home working animator..
The similarity of concepts between HTML, SVG and SMIL because they are
based on the recently so hated XML makes it all quite understandable. It
would be a crying shame if that is to be removed for the inability of some
to get that point.

Regards,

Jelle