Re: SMIL is dead,.. long live the SMIL

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Charles Lamont
<charles@gateho.gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
> The result is that I am totally confused. Is SMIL dead or not? Will the
> SMIL animated SVG that I wrote, and which has featured in Wikipedia for
> the last 6 years continue to work (where it does now) or not?
> Is it intended that some time soon SMIL declarative animation (or
> something 'backward compatible') will work in Internet Explorer or not?

SMIL won't work in IE for the foreseeable future; I don't particularly
expect them to change their position on this (but I could be
surprised).  It will continue to work, as much as it does, in the
other browsers; in particular, Chrome is dropping its native support
and switching to browser-JS to run it instead.  This shouldn't come
with much, if any, of a behavior change.

We (Chrome) aren't interested in any further changes or improvements
to SMIL, though.  Further improvements to animations should be done by
additions to Web Animations, and if we need declarative ways to access
such improvements, we'd prefer it be done via additions to CSS
Animations.

~TJ