Re: SMIL is dead,.. long live the SMIL

Hi, Regina–

ODF 1.2 references SVG 1.1. No matter what happens in SVG 2 (or any
future version), all the references there will still be valid, and
content tailored for ODF 1.2 will work in any viewer conforming to ODF
1.2 (which, by the way, doesn't include Web browsers).

As a side note, unfortunately, ODF 1.2 dramatically misunderstands and
misuses both SVG and XML namespaces, such that ODF 1.2 content is not
actually compatible with SVG 1.1 (or any other version of SVG). It's
more "inspired by" SVG than conforming to SVG; it subsets SVG, and also
extends it in incompatible ways, including its handling of SMIL.

When last I checked, the SVG support in Open Office wasn't very complete
anyway, and didn't support SMIL; perhaps that's changed.

I joined the ODF TC for a couple of years to correct it in ODF 1.3
(a.k.a. "ODF-Next"), but their efforts on that spec petered out before
anything substantive could be done.

So, while I agree with you that we should keep in mind the full set of
use-cases for SVG, compatibility with ODF 1.2 is not really possible,
because ODF was never compatible with SVG.

Regards–
–Doug