RE: Suggestion - <excludePath>

There was a suggestion of four to six years ago on www-svg, that was replete with examples, rationale, discussion, and, even, quantifiable buy-in, of why clip-path, with a simple inverse flag to mimic mask/exclusion made sense. I think the SVG WG agreed it was a good idea.  I don’t know if SVG is relevant to discussions of geometry any more, though, since it seems to have been agreed that SVG no longer has jurisdiction (Or did I misread something? A distinct, but optimistic, possibility)

I think SVG WG  sorta said, at the time,  that they’d implement it after some nonenumerable set of events. It does make sense, of course, but it starts to resemble architecture rather than decoration.

Regards

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds [mailto:amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 10:49 AM
To: public-fx@w3.org; www-svg@w3.org
Cc: Paul LeBeau; Simen Mangseth
Subject: Re: Suggestion - <excludePath>

I would strongly support a reverse clip-path.  I am not sure whether we need a new element, though -- another option would be to modify the clip-path property to include an in/out parameter.  This could allow the same operation to apply to CSS shapes clipping paths.

Of course, clipping paths are now the domain of the CSS Masking module, so any serious pursuit of new functionality would belong in level 2 of that module.  For that reason, I've copied this message to the SVG/CSS Effects Task Force's public-fx list.

Although you can mimick the visual effect or a "reverse clip" with a mask, there are limitations:

- It requires a lot of extra markup (first the clip path, then a mask containing a black rectangle that is clipped to the clipPath, on top of a white rectangle that is larger than the bounding box)

- Clipping paths can be processed more efficiently by some user agents, because they are vector operations instead of pixel operations

- Clipping paths affect pointer-events hit testing, masks don't.  For interactive graphics, using a mask can result in non-intuitive behavior.

Practical use cases include creating partially overlapping shapes, such as interlocking rings.  You need to clip the ring that is drawn on top to *not* include part of the ring on the bottom.

~ABR