From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds [mailto:amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 16:01
To: Smailus, Thomas O
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Overlapping Lines - and the edges of those lines - artifacts in rendering.

What you're seeing is the result of the browsers' anti-aliasing approach  (and applies in all browsers, as far as I know -- Chrome, at least, uses the same approach as Firefox and IE).

Each individual shape is anti-aliased before compositing the shapes together, creating a shape (or line in this case) with partially transparent fringes 1 pixel wide.  These partially transparent fringes blend together, even if the shapes themselves are opaque and the official geometric bounds of one shape completely overlaps the others.

For this particular example (with strict horizontal/vertical lines), you can get an acceptable result by applying `shape-rendering: crispEdges`, which tells the browsers to round each individual shape to exact pixel borders instead of applying anti-aliasing.  However, the same approach is less satisfactory when using curves or diagonal lines, as you lose the smoothing effect of the anti-aliasing.

http://jsfiddle.net/thomassmailus/aLm6zpe6/7/

As to whether this is a spec problem or a browser problem:

With the exception of the `shape-rendering: crispEdges` option, I don't think there is anything in the SVG specs that discusses how anti-aliasing should be applied.  So it is a bit of an undefined behavior on the spec side.  That said, the section on clipping paths does acknowledge that clipping paths can have aliased edges, which could create similar counter-intuitive results.  For example, if you drew a shape and then applied a clipping path that exactly excluded the same shape, you could still have a visible fringe because of the anti-aliasing.

Geometrically-precise clipping and compositing could have significant impacts on performance. Browsers would need to use vector operations for compositing in order to keep track of the exact geometry, before rasterizing (and anti-aliasing) the final result.  This would limit the options for optimizing painting, and would preclude many types of hardware optimization.

In other words, I don't think you will find support for making geometrically-precise compositing a requirement.  However, it may be worth considering a new rendering hint property, whereby authors could request this behavior -- and accept the performance impacts!

~ Amelia BR