Re: SVG animations without SMIL

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Philip Rogers <pdr@google.com> wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> The SVG path syntax is pretty difficult to use (IIRC it was designed before
> gzip which is why it uses one-character commands) so I understand wanting to
> improve that for the long-term. It looks like there has been quite a bit of
> discussion already about new path specs.
>
> For consistency with the other geometry attributes, I don't see many costs
> to promoting 'd' as a simple string presentation attribute. The proposal
> would be to have it work just like animating 'd' works today: string ->
> string where the interpolation is done on the parsed representation. I
> wasn't able to find arguments against this in the archives. Do you have a
> link to previous discussions of this?

Yeah, agreed that if we promoted it (and we should) it should be fine
to just give the property a grammar of "<string>" for now, and then
improve it with a more readable form afterwards.  That way we dont'
have to worry about the differences between path-data parsing and CSS
tokenizing, we can just use the same rules for both, which allows
copy/paste.

Then the more readable form can actually use keywords and functions
and units, oh my!

~TJ