Re: [css-writing-modes] 'writing-mode' and deprecated SVG values

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 2:38 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>  On Jul 28, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>
>> Koji Ishii:
>> > I'm good with the proposal. Gecko and Trident already handle them as
>> value
>> > aliases. I'm still under planning of how to unprefix writing-mode in
>> Blink,
>> > but I think what Gecko did is the only reasonable choice.
>>
>> FYI, Gecko does not support the old keyword values in our new Writing
>> Modes implementation.
>>

>  Thank you for the info, I misunderstood when we discussed about
> inheriting writing-mode from HTML to SVG.
>
>  I wrote a simple test how Gecko handles this[1] and figured out that I
> was wrong:
>
>  1. Gecko supports "vertical-rl" both in HTML and SVG and inherits
> 2. Gecko no longer supports "tb*" in either HTML nor SVG
>
>  It was a bit of surprising to me that Gecko does not recognize "tb" in
> SVG. Is this intentional? I can't find "vertical-rl" in SVG 1.1 nor 2.0. Is
> it in 3.0 draft?
>

>  writing-mode (as many other CSS properties) was first defined in a SVG
> spec and will now be described by a CSS module under the supervision of the
> CSS WG. (In this case the CSS WG is also the author of the spec.)
>
>  You won’t find a description of writing-mode in SVG 2 or any other
> future version of SVG. Instead SVG will reference the CSS module directly.
>
>  Greetings,
> Dirk
>
>   [1] http://jsbin.com/diluka/edit?html,output
>
> Thanks,  I found it's marked as an issue in SVG 2 spec[2]. I have to run
by Blink community but SVG writing-mode has 0.3% usage, it looks early to
drop "tb" at this moment to me, so Gecko Nightly already dropped "tb" in
SVG context was a bit surprise.

If we had to keep "tb" in SVG for a while, value aliasing looks the most
reasonable option, and that was what I wanted to say in the previous post.
I didn't even consider but dropping them in SVG is technically another
option.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/text.html#SettingInlineProgressionDirection

/koji