Re: PathSeg interface

From: Gavin Kistner <phrogz@me.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:23:44 -0700
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com>
On Feb 12, 2015, at 3:14 AM, Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com> wrote:
> > RESOLUTION: Drop the SVGPathSeg* interfaces if Erik verifies
>    the use counter values are correct
>
> I'm surprised it is zero - even though the API interface is a bit unwieldy and has only very basic support from the browsers.

I…whaaa? It’s certainly not exactly zero. Here are some of my own pages that use SVGPathSeg:
http://phrogz.net/svg/animation_on_a_curve.html
http://phrogz.net/svg/constant-length-bezier.xhtml
http://phrogz.net/svg/convert_path_to_absolute_commands.svg
http://phrogz.net/svg/convert_path_to_polygon.xhtml
http://phrogz.net/svg/convert_polys_to_paths.svg
http://phrogz.net/svg/draggable-bezier.xhtml
http://phrogz.net/svg/progressively-cloning-svg-path.html
http://phrogz.net/svg/transforming_paths.xhtml
http://phrogz.net/svg/transformations.js
http://phrogz.net/svg/libraries/SVGPathToPoly.js

And here are two answers I’ve posted that use it to good effect:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8053487/scripting-path-data-in-svg-reading-and-modifying
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9677885/convert-svg-path-to-absolute-commands

I know, no one likely was suggesting that it was exactly zero. However, this is a useful feature that I have used in the past. I’m quite surprised and skeptical that this is not used.

I would like to hear a detailed proposal for exactly what would be removed, and what scripters are expected to use in its place. Right now this seems a drastic action that I would personally advocate against.