Re: making comma-wsp optional between points list coordinates

From: Charles Lamont <charles@gateho.gotadsl.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 22:56:19 +0000
To: www-svg@w3.org
Juergen Roethig wrote:

> consistency with other cases is always a good argument for a change. But
> in this case, I would have proposed to have a consistency to a notation
> which is _readable_, and _intuitively_ _understandable_ by _humans_
> instead of allowing notations like "1.5.3-1,.2-.7e1.2.3" in any case,
> meaning something like a sequence of six or seven numbers (and even the
> experts in this thread were not consistent in their opinion whether
> these are six or seven numbers). SVG should be a language which is able
> to be read and understood (besides being authored) by humans, not only
> by machines - otherwise one might define SVG as a binary coded format
> instead of a textual one in order to save some amount of bytes (if this
> might be the reason to allow such horrible notations of sequences of
> numbers).

I agree. I suppose there will be an argument for allowing this for some
unlikely use case where file size is at an extreme premium, so perhaps
there is some way the spec can say that while it is possible, creating
deliberately obfuscated code is not compatible with good defensive
coding style.

--
Charles Lamont