Re: making comma-wsp optional between points list coordinates

Sounds good, so long as the change is to make it exactly the same as <path>
(except for the command letters).  Which is considerably more flexible than
anything I've seen in CSS!   e.g. "1.5.3-1,.2-.7e1.2.3" is valid list of
three points.

Would it be possible to re-arrange the description in the path section to
separate out the parts that would also apply to polygon/polyline from the
path-specific sections?  And then reference that from the other shape
definitions, so that there is a single clear definition of how to parse a
stream of numbers.

It's already true that you can take  a valid points list and insert an "M"
at the front (and a "Z" at the end as applicable) and make it a valid path
string.   This would ensure that the reverse mapping would still work after
optimizing the path string as short as possible.

ABR