Re: Initial comments on SVG Strokes, 2015-04-09

Hi Chris,

> On Apr 16, 2015, at 1:47 PM, Little, Chris <chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear Cameron and WG members,
>
> 1. Firstly, I should say I have a biased viewpoint, driven by meteorological uses cases that evolved on paper with pencils and erasers over the last 50 or so years and are now implemented in many interactive drawing applications.
>
> 2. My main concern is the "2.2 Specifying stroke alignment". 'Inside' and 'outside' are persistent, well understood properties for closed paths, and result in consistent and expected behaviour. As indicated in the draft, this is problematic for open paths.
>
> In particular, of the seven examples in 2.2, 'inside' and 'outside' give 'flipping' behaviour, and possibly other side-effects, in the context of an interactive drawing application when the curvature of the path is changed. Only the last, seventh, example ('left') would give expected consistent behaviour. This assumes that the path has a 'start' and a consistent direction of drawing.
>
> The 'left' and 'right' attributes would be consistent with 'inside' and 'outside' for closed paths, but would map differently depending on which way the path is closed (I think it is determined mathematically by the "winding number").
>
> Much as it is amusing to achieve fancy affects with side effects in graphics systems, I would prefer consistency of mental models and expectations.

You have very good points regarding open paths. Even graphic applications have different behaviors today. An option would be to limit the property to closed paths initially. We would still need to define what inside or outside means for a path.

Greetings,
Dirk