Re: Trailing semi-colons (Re: Agenda, 11 September 2014 SVG WG telcon)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 01:18:59 +0200, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> On 2014/09/10 21:48, Erik Dahlström wrote:
>> Hi David,
>> do you happen to have any examples that expect a single trailing
>> semicolon to mean there's an additional empty value at the end?
>>
>> Ideally I'd like all list-of-something to follow the same pattern of
>> allowing/ignoring a trailing separator, which seems to be how most
>> browsers handle such attributes, see e.g
>> http://jsfiddle.net/u6s671gb/4/.
>
> This has been discussed before:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2011Nov/0136.html

Yes, it has been discussed, but for semicolon-separated lists only. I'd
like to expand this topic to cover all list-of-Ts.

> There is a more thorough test case here:
>
>    http://brian.sol1.net/svg/interop/semicolon-test.svg
>
> It seems Chrome is inconsistent in where it allows trailing semi-colons
> and where it does not.

Yes, there is one bug open where someone asks for ignoring the trailing
semicolon in the keySplines attribute, that's the only one I'm aware of
atm. AFAICT Chrome/Opera and old Opera (Presto) all behaved exactly the
same on semicolon-test.svg. Unless I'm missing some subtle detail it
looked consistent across all the browsers that support SMIL, except for
how "red;green;;" is handled.

> I'd rather we just resolve this on the list if possible.

Is your opinion still the same as it was in the old thread? I'm willing to
accept the proposal there, on the condition that we also go ahead with
allowing trailing separators in list-of-Ts.

Cheers
--
Erik Dahlstrom, Web Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group