Re: [css-text-decor-3] 'text-decoration-color' and SVG

On 20/05/2014 11:23 PM, Tavmjong Bah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the last SVG Face-to-Face meeting we briefly discussed how CSS Text
> Decoration Module Level 3 would apply to SVG. The new
> 'text-decoration-line' and 'text-decoration-style' present no problems
> within SVG but the 'text-decoration-color' property is a horse of
> another color. SVG text decoration is painted using the 'fill' and
> 'stroke' properties of the text where 'text-decoration' is explicitly
> declared. The paint value is not limited to a solid color; it can be a
> gradient or pattern or other SVG paint.
>
> At the F2F it was suggested that we ping the CSS working group for
> suggestions on how to handle 'text-decoration-color' in SVG. After
> thinking about the problem for some time (and consulting with some
> Inkscape developers), I have concluded that 'text-decoration-color'
> should not apply to SVG. Instead there should be two additional SVG only
> properties: 'text-decoration-fill' and 'text-decoration-stroke'.
>
> Any comments?
>
> I've prepared a web page that includes a few figures and some more
> discussion:
>
>    http://tavmjong.free.fr/SVG/TEXT_DECORATION/
>
> Tav

You could have option 2 and 3, with text-decoration-color an alias of
text-decoration-fill.
This would allow authors to re-use styles from HTML in SVG.
In this case, the colour for stroke would remain as set elsewhere.

I could see this looking correct in a lot of cases.
Imagine your crossed out example but with white text with a black stroke.
The black stroke would remain on the decoration, with the fill colour
being red.
The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be confidential and may also be the subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the information from your system.