Re: [svg2] Text bbox calculations

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 03:48:59 +0100, David Dailey
<ddailey@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the 'full glyph cell' means but I do sense the
> following:
> a) An author ought to be able to interrogate the actual size of a given
> glyph as drawn in the browser/viewer (even if SVG 2 ends up not
> supporting svg-fonts).

I agree. Somewhat related to this, the WG has already resolved to add an
API for extracting glyph outlines as path data:

https://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2_Requirements_Input#Consider_adding_a_DOM_method_to_convert_a_.3Ctext.3E_element_to_outline_path_data

Adding a getBBox method to SVGPathSegList (or it's future replacement)
might be one way to do this, or alternatively one could create a path
element from that path data and query the bbox from there.

--
Erik Dahlstrom, Web Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group